As we near the end of 2016, it’s only fitting that One Country shares a few of those classic, end of the year lists. Like you, we are kind of bored with the typical end of the year lists, so we’re putting our own spin on a few!
In my professional opinion, this was a good year for country music. Country music stars singing covers included. Some were brilliant, some outstanding and some– memorable. And, yes, some were bad. Real bad.
14 Most Memorable Covers of the Year:
1. “Hallelujah” // Eric Church
Maybe it was the venue, maybe it was Church– either way, this was stunning.
2. “Forever and Ever, Amen” // Brad Paisley
Paisley performed this tribute as one of his heroes, Randy Travis looked on. Makes you cry just hear those opening chords.
3. “Dream On” // “The Voice” Coaches
Yep, still surprised at how much we love this. It’s just so good.
4. “Fishin’ In The Dark” // Luke Bryan and Keith Urban
The addition of Urban on any song is going to make it incredible, but the energy of this performance is absolutely unreal. And Bryan kept up with him.
5. “I Will Always Love You” // Carrie Underwood
Underwood performed this cover every night on her Storyteller Tour, but none topped this performance.
6. “Fallin'” // Little Big Town
Alicia Keys was all over country music, but even this LBT cover of her first hit was real good.
7. “Purple Rain” // Dwight Yoakam
There were too many “Purple Rain” covers to count this year, this one was the very best.
8. “Girl Crush” // Sam Hunt
Hunt is so much more talented than anyone gives him credit for. This proves it.
9. “Jolene” // Pentatonix (with Dolly Parton)
Is it a cover if Parton is there? Who knows, we just love it.
10. “O Holy Night/Hallelujah” // Jennifer Nettles
Not sure if Nettles the first to combine these two songs or not, but I know she nailed it.
11. “Die a Happy Man” // Nelly
Nelly’s studio cover of the tune is pretty great. But, adding in the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra? Okay…
12. “Pony” // Brett Eldredge
14. “Ring of Fire” // Madonna