Onion rings are right up there with fried pickles on my list of the finer things in life. This recipe for oven-baked onion rings is so easy and is perfect for making at home for the super bowl or watch party.
Oven-Baked Onion Ring Recipe:
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 cups baked potato chips
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- 1-2 large Vidalia onions, peeled
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Spray a baking sheet with oil and set aside.
- Place potato chips in the bowl of a food processor and grind them into crumbs.
- Transfer to a shallow bowl, then add cayenne and set aside.
- Combine buttermilk, 2 tbsp. flour and pepper in a bowl, and set aside.
- Slice onions into 1/2-inch circles and separate into rings.
- Place flour in a sealable plastic bag, then add onions and shake.
- Dip onions one at a time in buttermilk mixture, then dip into potato chip crumbs and place on the baking sheet.
- Spray oil over rings and bake for 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and serve with ranch or other dip!