During a recent interview with TMZ, Timbaland, longtime collaborator and producer for/with Justin Timberlake made a few interesting statements about the superstar’s move into a different genre. He also made a few interesting statements about his own move into a different genre.
“We are country. He’s from Tennessee, I’m from Virginia. It’s only right that we try to tap into what we was raised in. We was raised in the country. That’s who we are. We love love songs, we heard our parents sing them, the old country songs. But now it’s a new generation of country. ‘Drink You Away‘ was done on The 20/20 Experience. It’s now one of the biggest songs. But we always wanted to do country music. We thought some of our lyrics were country.”
Before we go any further, he’s a quick run-down of hits, Timbaland has been involved with:
- 2 Pac: All Eyez on Me album
- Aaliyah: One In a Million album, No. 1 single, “Try Again”
- Ginuwine: No.1 single, “Pony”
- Missy Elliot: Supa Dupa Fly album, No. 3 single, “Get Ur Freak On,” No. 1 single, “Work It”
- Jay-Z: No. 1 single, “Big Pimpin’,” No. 2 single, “Dirt Off Your Shoulder,” Magna Carter…Holy Grail album
- Ludacris: No. 3 single, “Rollout”
- Justin Timberlake: No. 2 single, “Cry Me a River,” Future Sex/Love Sounds album, The 20/20 Experience album, No. 1 single, “Mirrors”
That list doesn’t even scratch the surface of his work.
When asked if he was creating new country music, he said, “I gotta break that genre. I gotta tap into country, I’m already posted up in Nashville. I got a little spot in Nashville. That’s something I want to do. Cause I am music, so I don’t discriminate no genres. I learn it and I study it and I love it.”
And without being coy at all, when asked if he was creating new country music with Justin Timberlake he simply replied, “why not?”
Image Source: PR Photos