The Pioneer Woman strikes again! With the summer heat, it’s tricky to find side dishes to compliment the hot weather….Here’s the Pioneer Woman’s recipe for colorful fruit salad you need to try:
- 1/4 c. sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 oranges
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/2 small, seedless watermelon, cut into chunks
- 1/2 small cantaloupe, cut into chunks
- 1 mango, sliced
- 1/2 pineapple, cut into chunks
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread 2 tablespoons of the coconut on a baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted, 7 to 8 minutes. Set aside for topping.
- Cut the peel and pith off the oranges using a paring knife. Slice the oranges into rounds and set aside. Put the peels from one of the oranges in a small saucepan. Add the sugar, remaining 2 tablespoons coconut and 1/2 cup water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the syrup thickens, about 10 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a small bowl; discard the solids. Refrigerate the syrup until chilled, about 30 minutes.
- Arrange the watermelon, cantaloupe, oranges, mango and pineapple in stripes on a platter. Drizzle with the syrup and sprinkle with the toasted coconut.