Now that the sun is shining down on us a little longer, it seems like the perfect time to plant some brand-new habits into one’s life. And as the world continues to crumble around us in many ways, those habits can include serving others in a multitude of ways.
Here are just a few to get you started:
- Make a Visit to a Nursing Home – Have a deck of cards or a bottle of nail polish? If so, grab them and head on over to a nursing home and volunteer to spend some sweet time with those precious residents. Heck, they will probably give you a run for your money at gin rummy.
- Pick Up Some Trash – You know that walking path you find yourself on every morning? Well, make your time even more beneficial by grabbing a garbage bag next time and pick up all the trash you see. You’ll be doing more than just burning calories.
- Have a Lemonade Stand – With the spring comes more walkers on the sidewalks of your neighborhood, and chances are that many of them would appreciate a refreshing drink. And good news…you know how to make lemonade! Looking to raise money for a local cause? This is an easy way to do it!
- Hand Out Popsicles – One of the sweetest visions of spring is the many crowded playgrounds filled with children enjoying the innocence of childhood. Want to make that time even sweeter? Stop by with some popsicles. The smiles will be contagious.
- Make a Clothing Donation – Admit it…your closet is a bit of a train wreck at the moment. Well, that’s no way to start a morning. Rather, make a weekend cleaning out that closet and bringing all the excess items to a local shelter or organization. You will be glad you did.
- Throw a Letter in the Mailbox – When is the last time you took pen to paper and wrote a quick note to the ones you love? If it’s been a while, give it a try. It’s a sweet way to offer up some sweet sentiments to a person who just might need it now more than ever.
- Deliver a Meal – Have you ever noticed the nurse down the street that works the long hours, or the family who’s dealing with a sick family member? Take a little stress off them by delivering a homecooked meal to their doorstep. They will thank you later.
- Pay it Forward – You know you have wanted to do it for a long time. You have looked at that car behind you in the drive-thru line and wondered if you should pick up their tab. Well, let this be a reminder that you need to do it this spring. Why wait?
- Smile More – For far longer than we ever thought, most of us have been covering our smiles with masks during the relentless pandemic. But now that it seems safer to do so, get in the smiling habit again. It could very well change someone’s day.
- Plant Some Flowers – Sure, flowers on your front stoop can elicit a smile from you each time you walk in and out of the door. But what one might forget that flowers can also illuminate other’s lives. So, plant those plants and show off those flowers, and make your little corner of the world a prettier place.