As the sun went down and the stars came up, Virginia resident Martha Jones lit a candle on her dresser and laid down on her bed to enjoy the twinkling light it gave off.
But then the unthinkable happened.
I was just going to lay down, I wasn’t going to sleep, and I fell off to sleep,” remembers Jones. “When I woke up, the basket of clothes at the foot of my bed was on fire. All of my stuff got burned up.”
It was a heartbreaking incident for Jones and the grandchildren that live with her, but what happened next is what the world should be all about. Because just a few weeks later, one of Jones’ neighbors had an idea.
“Pastor Troy walks up and says ‘oh my goodness. This is where God wanted me to stop,’” remembers Jones’ stepdaughter Sandra Eggleston. “(They) asked what they could do to help.”
And before she could even answer, 100 volunteers from the nearby church began working, with the church spending approximately $50,000 on the project.
Jones’ home was rebuilt in just twenty days.
“Come and see what God is going to do,” became the motto of the group, according to Keith Gardner, a church member and leader in the project. “Not what we were going to do. Let’s see what God is going to do in the midst of all this.”
“I want to thank all of those people for what they have done for me,” expressed Jones. “May God bless each and every one of them.”