Without law and order, our country would descend into chaos, but some laws are outdated at best, or just plain stupid at worst. Check out these 23 ridiculous state laws from around the U.S.
23 Ridiculous State Laws from Around the U.S.:
1. Alaska – Moose may not be viewed from an airplane
Pilot: “Do not look out the right side of the airplane. Please avert your eyes. Whatever you do, don’t look at the moose!”
2. Arizona – Hunting camels is prohibited
I’m glad they clarified this one. All those camel hunters better find somewhere else to hunt!
3. Arkansas – It’s against the law to mispronounce “Arkansas”
It’s Ark-an-saw! Get it right or pay the price.
4. Colorado – It is illegal to ride a horse under the influence
Horse DUI – it’s legit in Colorado.
5. Florida – It is illegal to sing in a public place while wearing a swimsuit
Do you think they make exceptions during spring break?
6. Georgia – It is against the law to carry an ice cream cone in your back pocket on a Sunday
But you can back-pocket carry all the ice cream cones you want Monday – Saturday.
7. Indiana – Check forgery is still punishable with a flogging of up to 100 stripes
Check forgers be warned! Do your forging somewhere else. Indiana ain’t playing!
8. Iowa – Kisses may last no longer than five minutes
Set your timer – four minutes and fifty-nine seconds then cut it out!
9. Maine – You can be fined for keeping your Christmas decorations up after January 14th
The Christmas spirit has no place in Maine (after January 14th).
10. Massachusetts – Mourners may eat no more than three sandwiches at a wake
Can’t you picture the police enforcing this one? “Hey, that guy just ate four sandwiches! Get him!”
11. Minnesota – It is unlawful to cross state lines with a duck atop one’s head
I imagine this was happening an awful lot for them to make this one a law…
12. Nebraska – If a child burps during a church service, his or her parents may be arrested
Do the crime! Pay the time!
13. New Mexico – The entire National Anthem must be sung
Sing the whole thing or don’t sing it at all!
14. New York – A person riding an elevator must talk to no one and must fold his hands while looking at the door
Really, this should be a law nationwide.
15. North Carolina – Elephants are not allowed to be used to plow cotton fields
Don’t even think about it!
16. Oklahoma – Bear wrestling is illegal
Isn’t this one of those crimes that kind of takes care of itself?
17. Oregon – It is illegal to pump your own gas
Yes, they really mean it! You’ll get in trouble if you try to pump your own gas.
18. South Carolina – No one under the age of 18 is allowed to play pinball
Pinball leads to card playing, and we all know where card playing leads to…
19. Rhode Island – It is illegal to bite off another person’s leg
In case you thought it might be okay-– it’s not!
20. Tennessee – Students may not hold hands while at school
But, if those same students can go to Iowa and kiss for 4 minutes and 59 seconds.
21. Texas – It’s illegal to sell one’s eye
Eyeball selling was getting out of control, so Texas cracked down and made this law.
22. Virginia – it is against the law to tickle women
Let’s be honest, tickling should be completely outlawed everywhere and punishable by death.
23. Washington – It is illegal to harass Bigfoot, Sasquatch or any other undiscovered subspecies and is punishable by fine and/or imprisonment
I guess this falls into the realm of “just in case laws.”