Deciding what to get people for Christmas can be challenging. If you’re like me, you like to add some personal touches to the gifts you give, but that definitely involves some planning. And with the holiday season already in full swing, no one wants to spend all of their time trying to come up with that perfect gift. After all, who has time to scour the internet for hours, looking for ideas, when there are gingerbread houses to make and ugly sweater parties to attend?
Here are 6 easy DIY Christmas gifts that will please even the pickiest person on your Christmas list:
1. Mugs . I have seen many variations of DIY mugs on Pinterest, but, for me, this one method is tried and true. And it’s super easy too. You can use any oven-safe mug you want and, yes, a dollar store mug will work just fine! First, use some cotton balls to clean your mug off with rubbing alcohol. Now comes the fun part. Draw on your mug with oil-based sharpies. The great part is that if you make a mistake, you can use the rubbing alcohol to fix it. Design the mug however you choose – your imagination is the limit. Let dry for 24 hours then bake in the oven at 400 degrees. Make sure to put the mugs in the oven while it’s preheating, so they can gradually heat up too. After a half hour, turn off the oven, but let the mugs remain inside to cool. These mugs are amazingly easy and come out looking so cute!
2. Bath Salts . Who doesn’t like to enjoy a good bath every now and then? These homemade bath salts are the perfect gift for anyone who needs some relaxation. To make these, all you need is Epsom salt, baking soda, fragrant oils, food coloring, and some jars to put the bath salts in. In a bowl, mix ⅓ cup of baking soda and 1 cup of Epsom salt until well blended. Then add a few drops of food coloring and about 10 drops of fragrant oils. Stir until the color is evenly disbursed. You can add more color or oils if you need to. Pour into jars and your gift is good to go!
3. Snow Globe . It’s time to put those mason jars that you have laying around to good use. You will also need some glitter, distilled water, crazy glue, liquid glycerin that you can find at your local drugstore, and some miniature trees or figurines from the dollar store. Start by gluing your trees or figurines to the inside of the jar lid and let them dry for about 24 hours. Fill your jar to just about the top with distilled water and add a couple of drops of the liquid glycerin, which will help the glitter fall more slowly. Add in a bunch of glitter – the more the better! Now, screw the lid on tight and you’re done.
4. Dry Rub Mix. Give the gift of taste this year with this yummy dry rub. Lay out ½ cup of dark brown sugar for a couple of hours, so that it can dry out a little. Next, mix together ¼ cup sweet paprika, ¼ cup smoked paprika, ⅛ cup seasoned salt, 2 tablespoons chili powder, 2 tablespoons black pepper, 1 tablespoon garlic powder, 1 tablespoon rubbed dried sage, 1 tablespoon celery salt, 2 teaspoons onion powder, 1 teaspoon ground allspice, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, ¼ teaspoon cayenne, and ⅛ teaspoon of cloves. Add in the brown sugar, stir until well blended, and store in airtight containers.
5. Instagram Coasters . This gift might sound complicated to make, but it’s surprisingly very easy! For this, you’ll need 4” round flat cork pieces, Modge Podge glue, card stock paper, Instagram printouts, and felt mounting dots. Begin by tracing a circle onto the card stock and one of your pictures, using a cork piece as your stencil, to make sure that everything will fit nicely. Then cut the circles out. Spread a fairly thin layer of Modge Podge onto one of the cork pieces. Carefully place the card stock on top of the Modge Podge. Repeat this step and place your picture on top of the card stock. Seal it with another layer of Modge Podge and, when dry, add 4 mounting dots to the back. These are an adorable way to protect surfaces while enjoying a cocktail or two!
6. Kitchen Hand Scrub . In a bowl, mix together 1 ½ cups sugar, ⅓ cup kosher salt, the zest of 1 lemon, 1 cup olive oil, and ¼ teaspoon lemon extract. Put into any jar you choose and seal the lid tight. Your friends and family will love how smooth their hands feel after using this, and it smells awesome too!