Tequila is a fan favorite since its the main ingredient in the happy hour mainstay– the margarita. But how much do we really know about this spirit? Our friends at Sauza 901 Tequila, created by Justin Timberlake and Sauza Tequila, put together a few facts about the beloved beverage.
6 Things You Didn’t Know About Tequila:
1. The margarita is a Mexican tradition — False! The margarita is an American way of consuming tequila, in Mexico it is usually consumed neat without lime or salt.
2. Casa Sauza was the first to export tequila from Mexico to the United States. Casa Sauza exported three barrels that traveled by wagon from its distillery to New Mexico, in the United States.
3. Tequila does not have a worm in it! Although popular in movies, there is no “worm” in tequila. The “worm” is actually the larvae of a type of moth that lives on the agave plant.
4. There are five main categories for tequila: (1) Tequila Silver – Blanco – Plata – White – Platinum; (2) Tequila Gold – Joven – Oro; (3) Tequila Reposado; (4) Tequila Añejo (extra aged); and (5) Tequila Extra Añejo (extra, extra aged).
5. Tequila comes from a cactus-like plant called an agave. However, only the heart of the agave plant, called the piña, is used.
6. Did you know that Casa Sauza Tequila is the only distillery with agave fields visible from Google maps?