I don’t know about you, but I am not a fan of dry, cold leftovers. No matter how much I enjoy a meal the first time, I can hardly stomach it a second — but, turn those leftovers into something different and new, I’m in.
With these six super simple and super yummy recipes, you can not only enjoy a totally different delicious meal, you can also save money on groceries.
6 Ways to Turn Your Undesirable Leftovers into Delicious Meals:
- 3 eggs
- 2 pizza slices
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- vegetables (optional)
- Using a fork, scrape the cheese and toppings off your leftover pizza.
- Throw away the bread and crust.
- In a small sauce pan, combine the cheese, toppings and milk over medium heat.
- Stir until they have combined into a soft consistency.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk together eggs, onion powder, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and vegetables, if desired.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- When hot, pour eggs into pan and let sit for one minute.
- Then add pizza mixture and stir ingredients until eggs are fully cook.
2. Leftover Fried Rice Pudding
- 2 cups leftover fried rice
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- optional: whipped cream
- optional: cinnamon
- In a saucepan, over medium-low heat, combine milk, rice, sugar and salt.
- Cover and let sit for around 20 minutes or until thick.
- As they raise to the surface, remove vegetables from the mixture.
- Once thick, remove mixture from heat.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Serve with whipped cream and cinnamon, if desired.
3. Leftover Orange Chicken, Lime and Avocado Tacos
- 1 carton leftover Chinese orange chicken
- ½ head of lettuce, shredded
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toast tortillas for a few minutes until crispy.
- Chop chicken into small pieces and heat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
- Layer tortilla with sour cream, orange chicken, lettuce, lime and avocado as desired.
4. Leftover Pizza Croutons
- 2 slices of leftover pizza
- 1 can tomato soup
- vegetable oil
- Remove all the crust from your leftover pizza.
- Place the slices on top of each other so the cheese is on the inside.
- Slice into 1 1/2-in x 1/2-in squares.
- Coat a nonstick skillet with a thick layer of vegetable oil and fry croutons for about 3 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden brown
- Flip the croutons until both sides are brown and crunchy.
- Drain the oil from the croutons on a paper towel.
- Add to a salad or tomato soup.
5. Leftover Waffle Battered Chicken Wings
- 2 cups waffle mix
- 1½ cup water
- 1/3 cup oil
- 8 leftover chicken wings
- Combine and whisk together waffle mix, oil, and water.
- Dip each wing into the batter until thoroughly coated.
- Lay the wings on a waffle iron, pour a little more batter over the top and close.
- Cook until golden brown.
6. Leftover Beef Taco Breakfast Chilaquiles
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 leftover beef tacos
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup crumbled feta
- 2½ cups salsa
- 1 lime
- 3 sprigs cilantro, for garnish
- Coat a saucepan in oil and put over medium heat.
- Once hot, add salsa and let simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Separate the taco meat and filling from the tortilla and tear the tortillas into small pieces.
- Add tortilla pieces and feta to the salsa and stir.
- Once tortilla strips are thoroughly coated, add the taco meat and filling to the mixture.
- Then, crack six eggs around the perimeter of the pan.
- Cover and cook without disturbing for about 10 minutes.
- Serve with lime, cilantro and avocado slices, if desired.
Image Source: BigStock