You’ve spent a lot of money on your favorite pair of jeans and you want them to last. Denim care can get confusing with lots of conflicting information out there. We decided to make it easy for you to take care of your most prized possession and put all of the best tips in one place!
Here is our list of favorite tips:
1. Don’t wash them after every wear. Obviously, if you are getting down and dirty in them, this is not true. But if you only wore them to work or for a day of running errands there is no need to wash them until they begin to lose shape.
2. If you are concerned about the odor your jeans may have between washings, simply hang them in a steamy bathroom or freeze them in a plastic bag for a few days. Sounds weird, we know. But it works!
3. Keep those jeans out of the dryer. Air drying them is the only way to go. Not a fan of the “crispy” feel of air dried jeans? Once they are thoroughly dry, toss them in the dryer with a dryer sheet for a few minutes to soften them up.
4. Prevent fading by adding 1/2 cup of white vinegar to the final rinse. This will help keep the deep hue of dark denim.
5. Having your jeans hemmed? Make sure you wash them two times before heading to the tailor. Jeans always shrink in length once washed.
6. Cotton fibers in denim needs to “breathe.” Don’t pile jeans too tightly in a drawer.
7. Did you know you can determine your waist size by placing the waistline of the jeans around your neck? If the waistline meets comfortably at the back of your neck, the jeans should work. Obviously this method is best to use when in a pinch for time. Or in your closet just to see if it actually works!
8. Jeans too tight? Wash them again, let them air dry and stretch the waistband while slightly damp. Need a little extra stretch? A hairdryer or a steamy iron (stretch afterward!) will do the trick.
9. Buy jeans that are a little snug. They will stretch and you don’t want them to be baggy after just a few wearings.
10. If hanging jeans in your closet, hang them with hangers that clip at the waistline rather than folding them over the hanger. This way you can see them more easily.
11. Distressing jeans yourself? Put them on and mark with chalk where you want to distress them. It will be perfect every time!
12. Jeans too short? Don’t toss them. Simply wear them tucked into boots. No one will know the difference!
13. Keep at least one pair of each style of jeans in your wardrobe and rotate them. This keeps them fresh and from wearing out as quickly.
What tips do you have to make your jeans last?