Look, you love bacon. We all do. You also love grilled cheese sandwiches. What if, and hang with me here, you combined the two into a healthy grown up grilled cheese with robust flavor? Your lunch just got upgraded.
This recipe is not difficult. In fact, it’s a lot like the grilled cheese sandwiches you used to make with Kraft singles. But, we did add a few tips and tricks that will take your sandwich to the next level: crunchy toasted bread, gooey cheese, and delicious veggies.
- Season tomatoes with sea salt and set aside.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet to medium heat and cook an even layer of bacon until crisp.
- Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate.
- Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on each piece of bread (it has a higher smoke rate, so it won’t burn while you get the cheese to melt!)
- Place the bread, mayonnaise side down in the skillet.
- Top with layers of gruyère on one half and swiss, bacon and tomatoes on the other half. Cover the skillet.
- Once the cheese has begun to melt, place the slice of bread with gruyère on top of the tomato and bacon. Flip until both sides are golden brown and the cheese is fully melted.
- Serve immediately.