My dad‘s side of the family is English, so I grew up with a dad and a grandmother cooking me meals like shepherd’s pie, bubble and squeak and fish and chips — all very fattening and very good. I just have to say, the English’s standard of comfort food way surpasses that of us Americans.’
While I can’t pick a favorite out of the vast array of delicious English meals, there are definitely some stand-outs and the full English breakfast is definitely one of them. There’s just something about waking up to the smell of eggs, sausage, toast, tomatoes and, best of all, bacon fat skillet potatoes.
English Potatoes Fried in Bacon Fat
- 1.5 pounds raw small potatoes
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- oregano, thyme, tarragon, parsley, rosemary (all optional — use one, none or any combination)
- Put the potatoes in a pan of cold salted water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer until tender. Should be about 15 minutes.
- Drain and then return the potatoes to the pan to steam for a few minutes.
- Let cool.
- Cut potatoes into 1-1.5 inch slices.
- In large skillet, heat the bacon grease over medium high heat.
- Add the potato to the skillet in a single layer. Cook them in batches if you need to.
- Season the potatoes and let cook until the underside is golden brown.
- Flip the potatoes, season and let cook until golden brown.
- Add garlic to the pan and let it simmer briefly.
- Drain potatoes on a plate covered with paper towels and serve immediately.
Side note: This dish is particularly good when served with eggs over easy, sausage links, toasted white bread, skillet tomatoes and jam. Yum.
Image Source: BigStock