There has been some controversy surrounding the casting of season 28 of Dancing with the Stars, announced earlier this week. Namely, Sean Spicer, former White House press secretary.
Tom Bergeron was the first to speak out about Sean’s presence on the show on social media Wednesday morning (Aug. 21) following the casting announcement on Good Morning America.
[RELATED: “Dancing With The Stars” Reveals Season 28 Cast Including James Van Der Beek, Hannah Brown and Christie Brinkley]
“A few months ago, during a lunch with DWTS‘ new executive producer, I offered suggestions for season 28. Chief among them was my hope that DWTS, in its return following an unprecedented year-long hiatus, would be a joyful respite from our exhausting political climate and free of inevitably divisive bookings from ANY party affiliations. I left that lunch convinced we were in agreement. Subsequently (and rather obviously), a decision was made to, as we often in Hollywood, ‘go in a different direction, he wrote in the Tweet. “For me, as host, I always gaze into the camera’s lens and imagine you on other side, looking for a two-hour escape from whatever life hassles you’ve been wrestling with. That’s a connection, and a responsibility, which I take very seriously, even if I occasionally season it with dad jokes.”
Some thoughts about today pic.twitter.com/aCQ4SHrGCI
— Tom Bergeron (@Tom_Bergeron) August 21, 2019
Sean has since responded to Tom’s displeasure during an interview with The Hollywood Reporter .
“My hope is that at the end of the season, Tom looks back on this and realizes what a great example it was of being able to bring people of really diverse backgrounds together to have fun with each other, engage in a real civil and respectful way and maybe show millions of Americans how we can get back to that kind of interaction,” he said.
[RELATED: Sharna Burgess and Artem Chigvintsev Speak Out After Not Returning to “Dancing With the Stars”]
Now, another voice is speaking out against Spicer’s casting. Grey’s Anatomy head honcho, executive producer Krista Vernoff, took to Twitter to share her abhorrence toward the decision made by the network she is employed with.
“I deeply abhor this decision by the company I work for and truly love. This man lied daily, to our faces, and made a mockery of our country. This is not cause for celebration or celebrity. It’s not too late to change this plan,” she Tweeted, adding Disney head honcho Robert Iger to message.
I deeply abhor this decision by the company I work for and truly love.
This man lied daily, to our faces, and made a mockery of our country. This is not cause for celebration or celebrity.
— Krista Vernoff (@KristaVernoff) August 22, 2019
However, it doesn’t look like anything is changing anytime soon. New executive producer of Dancing With the Stars, Andrew Llinares, released a statement regarding the cast. “We’ve got a great and diverse cast. We are excited about the season,” he said.
Season 28 of DWTS begins September 16 on ABC.