After months of speculation, it’s official! The Saved by the Bell reboot is happening. However, it will be happening without one of its biggest stars.
According to various reports, Mark-Paul Gosselaar won’t be returning to play the role of Zach Morris in the show, which is set to air on the new NBC streaming platform Peacock beginning in April of 2020.
“I read it in the trades just like everybody else this morning,” Gosselaar told Variety on Monday (Sept. 16.) “Honestly, I was never approached. I woke up to the news this morning with a kind of ‘huh’ response. I’m on ABC, so it doesn’t really fit into that considering Disney Plus, so I understand the business side of things. But I had no idea it was that far along.”
Gosselaar has in fact showed interest in recent months in coming back to the show, telling People magazine earlier this year that, “if it was a good product that I felt wouldn’t tarnish the original product, then yeah. I’m open to hearing anything.”
However, two of the show’s original stars, Mario Lopez and Elizabeth Berkley, have in fact confirmed that they will be in the new series.
“The deal is being done,” Lopez said during his hosting gig on Access Hollywood on Tuesday (Sept. 17.) “It’s gonna happen. We are going to be rebooting Saved by the Bell for the new NBC streaming platform. I might be bringing back the mullet.”