Mornings are hard. I’m not a morning person by nature, but I’ve learned how to coax myself into getting out of bed in the morning without complaint. If I smell coffee, the chances of me getting out of bed are much higher. If I know there’s a tasty breakfast waiting for me, it’s pretty much a guarantee.
The Pioneer Woman‘s “Good Morning Muffin” recipe pairs perfectly with a hot cup of coffee. Whip these up on a Sunday night and enjoy them for the rest of the week!
The Pioneer Woman’s Good Morning Muffin Recipe:
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- Generous 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp. baking powder
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups sweet orange marmalade (use 2 cups if you like the bitter marmalade taste, less if you don’t)
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 whole eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. melted butter
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Wheat germ, for sprinkling
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. For the batter, sift together flour, granulated sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl, and use a pastry cutter to mix in the butter and shortening.
- Mix marmalade, orange juice and vanilla in a bowl, then pour the mixture into the bowl with the flour.
- Pour the eggs into the bowl and mix everything together gently.
- Fill your muffin tins with the batter.
- For the topping, mix the granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, butter, salt and nutmeg in a small bowl. Sprinkle a teaspoon of this mixture onto each muffin batter, then sprinkle wheat germ over the top for extra crunch.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until cooked through.