My parents spent some time living in Louisiana and while they were there, my mom picked up some incredibly delicious recipes– Gumbo being one of her most-requested dishes to this day.
If you’ve got an Instant Pot, this chicken, shrimp and vegetable gumbo recipe is a must-try! It’s easy to make and will give you that signature Cajun taste without too much work.
How To Make Gumbo in Your Instant Pot:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups green bell pepper diced
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 3 cups Water
- 1 tbsp. Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 cans stewed tomatoes undrained,14.5-ounce cans
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken thighs skinless, boneless, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp. hot sauce
- 1 lb. okra cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 lb. medium shrimp peeled and deveined
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. With lid off a 6-quart Instant Pot, press [Sauté], and use [Adjust] to select “Normal” mode.
- Combine flour and oil in cooker; cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly with a flat spatula until dark brown.
- Add bell pepper,onion, celery, and garlic; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in 3 cups water, Old Bay, garlic powder, salt, tomatoes, chicken, and bay leaves . Turn cooker off.
- Close and lock the lid of the Instant Pot. Turn the steam release handle to “Sealing” position. Press [Manual]; select “High Pressure,” and use [-] or [+] to choose 23 minutes pressure cooking time. When time is up, turn cooker off. Open the cooker using Natural Pressure Release.
- Stir in hot sauce and okra. Press [Sauté], and use [Adjust] to select “More” mode. Cook, uncovered, 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add shrimp; cook 5 minutes or until done and okra is tender. Remove and discard bay leaves.