I love hush puppies, but they’re one of those things I never think to make at home– I only think about them when I go to particular restaurants.
As it turns out, they’re really easy to make at home– and you can put any twist on them you’d like. My personal favorite? Jalapeno cheddar.
How To Make Your Own Jalapeno Cheddar Hush Puppies At Home:
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Heat about 1 1/2 inches of oil in a pot until it reaches 375 degrees.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, green onion, cheese, jalapeno, egg, and buttermilk and stir until well combined.
- Form small balls out of the mixture and drop them into the bot oil one at a time, frying for 3-4 minutes (or until golden brown).
- Transfer to a paper towel to drain, then repeat until all batter is used.